on 19 October 2010
The book is actually three shortish stories, consecutive in time so you must read them in order.

Story 1 did grip me - it does a pretty good job of introducing you to the world the author is creating, where we humans are, to a degree, protected by the forces of Light and abused by the forces of Dark. These Forces themselves appear to us as merely humans, but they have additional powers and can enter other levels of reality. This genre of book is not something I usually go for, but I did enjoy Story 1.

Story 2 follows the protoganists introduced in Story 1 through another Light v Dark conflict. The author seems to be playing with the "spy thriller" genre a bit, with the foot agents being used by their own superiors in strategies and "games" beyond the understanding of the basic pawns. Story 2 was ok, but I felt it wasn't qute as well written as Story 1, or perhaps I was starting to notice the style a bit more because the initial interest in the author's world was waning.

Story 3 was really poor. For most of it, very little happens, other than Anton, the central character, drinks a lot because of his love for a woman who is, perhaps, destined to not have a future with him. Perhaps because the author was concentrating on Anton's angst, I really felt the author's writing was poor - he is at his best when things are happening and the plot is screaming along. The climax was disappointing, especially as it seemed to have been written to make you buy the next book rather than make a satisfactory end to this book (I hate book series where a book's primary purpose is to set things up for the next book).

At the end of Story 1, I thought I had found a really interesting writer and book series. By the end of Story 3, I had decided that I will not be buying any more of the series.
22 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?