on 7 January 2012
I already owned a Zepplin Mini, which is paired with an iPod 4th gen. I wanted another docking station for the study but didnt want to shell out £299.

What hi-fi recommended the Logitech S715i in the sub £100 category and given this is now selling at £65 it was a no-brainer to give it a go.

The first thing that strikes you as you take it out of the box is the 6 speaker (and theres another two on the back) boom box styling. The controls are simple and, to be honest, less fiddly than the Zepplin which sometimes doesnt recognise the iPod is docked and the iPod plays music out of the iPod not the docking station.

The logitech is quite simply plug and go. It has a warm, rich, colourful sound. Bass suffers slightly due to the slim design of the unit but mid range and top end are excellent, and logitech have clearly tried to compensate for the Bass issue by the siting of the rear speakers. My unit is on the desk up against the wall and sounds just fine.

I placed it next to the Zepplin and road tested both, using Lady GaGa on the ipod, and also using the Tune In radio app (if you havent got Tune In radio then get it - awesome!). The s715 more than gave the Zepplin a run for its money. Both at low volumes and high volumes it sounded great.

I didnt need the internal battery functionality but have already taken advantage when I wanted to listen to it in a room without a plug socket nearby.
Running on battery reduces volume - but all you need to do is turn it up; this is not the downside another review implies.

The remote control is no bother, and better than the Zepplin's in my opinion. The trayless docking system is clever (i'm using my iPhone 3GS in the s715) and better than the Zepplin's! Yes you have to remove the cover but then this is no hassle. When I upgrade my phone to the 4G then my 3GS will be dedicated to the s715 and hence the cover issue will no longer be an issue and I am sure this will be the same for most people.

I'm really warming to the s715 and to be quite honest I really dont know why anyone wouldnt buy one of these. If you are looking for a docking station at the sub £100 mark then buy this. To be honest you'd be hard pushed to beat it at the sub £300 mark.

One word of warning - if size is an issue then note that, at the time of writing, the dimensions cited on Amazon are incorrect. It actually measures 39x11x14cm (WxDxH).
What's this?