on 9 January 2013
Bought for my 7-year-old son's birthday party as background music, mainly because it has Gangnam Style on it (yes, yes, I know...)

Apart from the aforementioned Korean monstrosity, which I actually don't mind all that much - probably because I don't know whether the lyrics are a load of old tosh or not as they're in Korean - every single song sounds exactly the same as every other song to me, with the exception of Elbow and (I can't quite believe I'm saying this) Robbie Williams.

Same sounds, same tempo, same four chords, same featured artists, same, same, same, samey samey same.

It was as if Calvin Harris had popped round my house for tea and decided to whack me about the head 130 times a minute for two hours with one of his own keyboards, while Florence Welch and Example took turns singing the word "same" in the key of C major (or A minor, if it's a sad song about splitting up and stuff).

As a result I found myself weeping in the corner, rocking back and forth, sucking my thumb and sticking my fingers in my ears (no mean feat I can tell you) while longing for the days of Now That's What I Call Music 10 which had M/A/R/R/S, Nina Simone, Whitesnake and Level 42 (google them, kids) on the same album, and wondering why all my calendars say 2013 when surely it's only just turned 1988 and I can't be old enough to have a 7-year-old son as I'm only 12 myself...

But I can't blame the compilers of current pop music compilations for including current pop music on current pop music compilations, and I'm sure my kids and their friends will like it, so on balance, 3 stars.

Edit 15/01/13 - having listened to the thing a few times now I quite like Sam and the Womp, it's got an interesting Middle Eastern-sounding melody and reminds me of Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag by Pigbag (google them, kids).
88 Comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.