on 10 September 2012
I bought this film years ago from Amazon, back before a Region 2 even existed. I had to struggle to rip and convert a Region 1 import because there was no other way to watch one of my favourite movies.

I'm glad that the publisher finally decided to release a Region 2. The price of £9 for a non-bluray in this day and age is preposterous, but I'm glad it exists. It's bizarre to me that it took until 2012 for a DVD release, and I hope it doesn't take another 10 for a bluray.

I saw this film on Sky around 10 years ago, at around 4/5am during my insomniac period, which of course is very fitting for this film. The way it played on the psychology of sleeplessness, and the way that fantasy (and therefore horror) and the loneliness of existing during a time where you feel most detached, was very well orchestrated. It's a simple film, and probably doesn't help explain the condition to those not fully aware of what it's like not to sleep for an extended period of time, but I feel that this movie was made for insomniacs. This is my favourite Jeff Bridges role, and I am looking forward to watching the director's upcoming works.

For those that enjoy this movie I recommended the following films: Bringing Out The Dead, Cash Back, The Machinist, Insomnia, Fight Club, Donnie Darko.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink