on 4 August 2011
I bought this book because I was intrigued by it and because I, like many people, have had a few ideas kicking around in my head for a children's book.

And I'm so glad I bought it because the best aspect, for me, was the focus on what NOT to do when writing a children's books: avoid the cliches, taboos and plain boring. The second thing that I loved about the book was the author's suggestions for coming up with ORIGINAL stories, characters and plots, as well as ways for -- crucially -- keeping it SIMPLE. In other words, avoid another trap: don't make it too complicated.

It also covers things like proposals, pitching etc, but the above were the key elements of her book that I think stood out.

While I have bought other 'how to get published' books (for non-children's market), this is the first I have bought for writing for kids. Last, buying this book has probably helped me save a load of wasted time. She gently sets you on the right path to children's writing with a gentle push of encouragement.

Well worth the money.