4.0 out of 5 stars A mish-mash of tasty things - not all dairy either!, 28 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Great British Farmhouse Cookbook (Yeo Valley) (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm just a sucker for a cookbook. And especially one by the great folk at Yeo Valley, the source of so many things delicious and dairy-related. So I was particularly curious to crack this open and find out whether it really was just about dairy or whether there was a bit more to it.

I'm happy to report that it's not just yogurt-based recipes in here! The book is structured around the different parts of a farm and garden - starting with the dairy, obviously, then moving through the farmhouse kitchen, the veg garden, the farmyard, the pastures, and even into the woods, hedgerows, fields and streams before moving back to the fruit garden (orchard, surely? ed.). Yum.

Quick disclaimer here - I'm a vegetarian. So I haven't sampled the meaty recipes in their original glory. But I'm a very adaptable vegetarian, so I like to use all sorts of recipes as inspiration and see if I can adjust them to my needs.

There are some gorgeous recipes here. More to the point, some of the tips given throughout the book in an almost throwaway fashion are absolutely brilliant. Why yes, I'll be making the flavoured butter soon. Ooh. And the yogurt, feta and roasted red pepper dip. But there's a real emphasis on hearty traditional English dishes, and these aren't desperately vegetarian (or easy to adapt - eg roast rib of beef with a mustard flour crust... somehow I just don't think Quorn is going to cut it here...) so I will leave it for a better-qualified reviewer to comment here. But on to the things I did want to make - and there were plenty. The section on foraging was lovely and inspiring, and I'm planning to make the spinach and wild garlic filo pie the next time I come across some of that delicious smelling wild garlic growing in the woods. And the wild plum fool with sponge fingers is on my mind too.

I'm not entirely sure about the structure. It left me slightly frustrated, as it jumped (within the dairy section) from fishcakes to cheesecake. Call me a boring old traditionalist but I do think there is something to be said for chucking all of your savoury recipes in one place in a book and then putting the sweet ones somewhere slightly different. But I can see why they've done it, and it still makes for a good read. However, after a rather brunch-flavoured sojourn in the kitchen section, we were back in the more-firmly-savoury camp of the veg garden.

All in all, I wasn't disappointed. A good all-rounder of a cookbook, with some brilliant gems, despite a somewhat idiosyncratic structure and an emphasis on traditional British cooking. There's more to Yeo Valley than just dairy!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]