4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise, 20 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The US Albums (Audio CD)
Firstly, I have to agree with the person who commented about people being able to post 'reviews' without even having invested in an item. That's particularly relevent, as I was a little dubious about pre-ordering this myself, after reading that the 2009 remasters had been used in many cases here. Before I get to my day's listening impressions: Yes- the packaging is BEAUTIFUL & positively scary in it's attention to detail. It screams quality (though I'm not going to paste the 'trunk cover' sticker over the Butcher sleeve & steam it off just yet! :-)).
As for the music (of course- superb), I'm a fan of many years, but NOT an expert when it comes to the various differences in mixes etc, that made the US albums intriguing for us Brit's. However, what I CAN say is:
This collection IS NOT just a reformatting/re-sequencing of the 2009 remasters, as has been presumed by some (myself included), though the differences aren't listed anywhere in the notes. This isn't an 'archealogical dig' folks. Of course, it made sense to get rid of the horrible 'fake stereo' tracks (which were enough to drive you nuts through headphones) & the original US applied reverb was an acquired taste. Never having owned all the US albums, I can't go into this in great detail (though someone will I'm sure)& personally I actually LIKED IT on 'The Beatles Second Album': one of the few I picked-up years ago & thought: "Hey!- this sounds kinda different!". Well- in that instance, the reverb's gone. But fear not: the mono versions of 'I Feel Fine' & 'She's A Woman' have their reverb intact & still sound like they were recorded in an aircraft hanger (for better or worse). The MONO mixes of 'I'm Only Sleeping', 'And Your Bird Can Sing' & 'Dr Robert' on 'Yesterday & Today' are the earlier mixes that made that album such a nice surprise on this side of the pond. There's far more actually going-on here than I initially thought there would be. I only received this beautiful release this morning, so I just thought I'd at least TRY to mention some of the mix differences etc.I know there are more, but it's a start :-).
Of course it won't please purists, but what would?. Let's also not forget that these releases offer the chance for many to hear the mono AND stereo versions of these tracks on a single disc too (especially appealing if you want to cherry-pick a few titles). If only the UK pressings offered that!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Jan 2014 03:18:16 GMT
Michael K says:
Great review with which I agree 100%. Of course, there are differences in the purposes for this set stateside and here. There it's a souvenir for many and they want back what they had on vinyl but that's bnot really authentically possible ANYWAY unless you get that vinyl and even a vinyl resissue won't satisfy some. Me, I am interested in content and as you say, I couldn't really believe it when I realised that this would be a fair way to combining both stereo and mono boxes at a fractional price. Advantage number one. Number two is the sheer quality of this set. I had experienced a friend's Mono box without playing the discs and this has that same 'Wow' factor. But it's mine rather than his!
I can't wait to 'be an American' while listening and already 'The Beatles Second Album' really is coming across as the major rock and roll event that scorched America.

Posted on 21 Jan 2014 04:05:59 GMT
Grumbler says:
with all due respect, the set has not even been out long enough for people to have actually listened to it and people are already reviewing it... I mean there are plenty of sites where the technical details of the mixes are explained already. what this should be for, is commenting on the set itself. packaging, actual sound quality, etc...

maybe you should all wait a week.

Posted on 21 Jan 2014 12:38:02 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jan 2014 12:38:28 GMT
Daf says:
How are the insides of your 'Help!" and 'The Beatles Story' gatefold covers?

Mine are very creased/scrunched up at the inner spine. Was wondering if they're all like that?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2014 13:06:54 GMT
Ron Nasty says:
Mine are ok. Sorry to hear about yours.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2014 14:37:45 GMT
carljpgr says:
Hi daf, my beatles story is ok, but help is quite scrunched up near the bottom..I expect perfection for over a hundred quid. Also the little plastic sheets that the CDs are in are nowhere near as good as the mono box..quite scruffy and ragged.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2014 15:41:29 GMT
Daf says:
Thanks for the replies - I think I'll try and get a replacement - My 'Help!' is really a mess!

Posted on 22 Jan 2014 10:07:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Jan 2014 10:25:03 GMT
Marc B says:
Glad your enjoying the set, it does look fantastic aesthetically but the US albums they are not by any stretch of the imagination. Not sure why you have to be a purist to have issue with this set, surely anyone who wants to purchase this set to get a flavour of how the American audience heard the Beatles for over 20 years would be disappointed to find out that it's mostly a repackage of the 2009 remasters. Apple have explained their reasoning for this, fair enough but we are really stretching the boundaries when you include the 87 remixes of Help! And Rubber Soul and call the set The Original US albums. The decision to not include the duophonic mixes means that the same mono mix of Ill Cry Instead appears 3 times in the set, twice on the one CD!

If it included the unique US mixes as advertised then again at least that would be a positive, but guess what, it's missing the unique US stereo mix of I'm Only Sleeping and Doctor Robert, Long Tall Sally and I Call Your Name so unfortunately this is an utter mess.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›