on 12 May 2011
My mother bought me this book (it arrived this morning) as I had literally cooked Annabel Karmel to death and desperately needed a fresh bout of inspiration. I was extremely excited at the idea of a River Cottage baby cookbook! as I love seasonal cooking and thought that one aimed at babies and toddlers is a fabulous idea. The ethos behind the book is good as, fresh is best and above all don't stress about feeding your children as food is a joy and children should grow up with that philosophy too. However despite the practical guide on weaning the weaning information is very similar to the old favourites, Gina Ford and Annabel Karmel and there is very little new information to be learnt.

I was also a little disappointed in the recipe section. Porridge and Eggy bread features in the Winter section - including recipes like that feels like she is telling me how to boil an egg. I was hoping for something more interesting and inspired and different to all the other cook books. When it came to the recipes possibly a more holistic meal approach would have been better rather than just a collection of recipes as the start of the book offers that all round how to feed your child guide.

Despite my luke warm feeling to the book I decided to make the rice pudding for dessert and the recipe didn't work out at all. The rice was very sticky and dry and there definitely wasn't enough liquid added. Not a great start but as I said I do like the seasonal aspect of the cookbook and even though I doubt it will become as firm a favourite as Annabel, I will definitely give some of the other recipes a try.
0Comment| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?