on August 8, 2013
The software installed fine but wouldn't run at all, reporting missing DLLs. This was on a fairly clean Windows 7 x64 that was only installed about 2 weeks previously. Despite the 1.0.2 software dating from 2011, the device was shipped with the older 1.0.1 version. I eventually got it to run by installing the X-Rite Device Manager software (not included on the CD, but available from the X-Rite download site). I couldn't find any indication that that was supposed to fix my problem (which has been reported by others).

Once I'd finally got it to run, it calibrated the display fine. However, the ambient light detection failed to work after the computer resumed from sleep (it appears the device isn't detected at all). I tried installing the device on a different computer (also running Windows 7 x64) and everything worked fine... except that the ambient light adjustment didn't seem to work at all (obscuring the sensor or shining a torch at it and remeasuring made no difference).

Basically, very disappointing software, exhibiting a lot of similar issues to the Pantone Huey I owned years ago (from the same heritage I guess). Maybe it works better on a Mac?

X-Rite support failed to respond within their claimed 8 hours, so I returned it to Amazon for a refund.

NOTE: X-Rite did respond on the 6th working day after I emailed them. As I had found myself, X-Rite Device Manager was the problem. Not much use however, since I had already returned it.
33 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?