on 6 February 2013
My first reaction to the write up of his book was "Ooh - look at this! A book about cycling and France and food/wine too. Does it get any better than this?" Well, having read the book I can tell you, yes it does. Adam's book, like so many other good books on travelling in France that I have read (and I have read a lot), inspires me to get out and see more of France. However, for me at least, Adam brought an extra element of excitement as his `way' makes the adventure seem really do-able. Each of his six routes is covered in about eight days and his daily distance of about 100km would be achievable by us (with a bit of effort put in beforehand). His bike isn't weighed down with tent and sleeping bag as with a bit of careful planning he finds good value hotels each night - much like we do for our road trips. I admire (almost to the point of jealousy) those who can take off with all they need for the next six weeks strapped to their bike. However they all have stories to tell of nights of little or no sleep under canvass for all sorts of reasons and they have made me realise it's not for me. I don't do sleepless nights and I know I couldn't cycle all day following a sleepless night. Adam has made it seem OK to have a cycling adventure and stay in a bed each night with access to a private shower with hot water on arrival and before you leave. Thanks Adam.

Add to this Adam's experience of travelling and writing about France for the Holiday Which? guides for many years and you have a great read with lots of interesting information, including places to stay and eat, along the way. Adam is also the only other person I have ever encountered who has mentioned travelling with The Michelin Red Book, just like we do.

I was sent this book by the author/publisher to read.
What's this?