on 23 August 2000
Wow. Wow. Wow.
I'm not hip enough to have caught these guys on my own. I actually needed John Cusack's character's help in High Fidelity when he says to his record store workmates "Watch this. I'm gonna sell 10 copies of the Beta Band in the next half hour." And then proceeds to nearly hypnotise theatre audiences (and the record stores' customers in the movie) around the world to a few seconds of "Dry The Rain".
So I took a punt and plunked down the tenner, and lo and behold, I've got a gem. "Dry The Rain" is the classic you knew it would be. Then you get totally swept away by the likes of "I Know", "Dog's Got A Bone" and "She's The One" (and it's meltdown finale!). And I also remember hearing the haunting songs "Dr Baker" and "Needles In My Eyes" on radio at some point.
The reviews have got it right. It is masterful and amateurish. And nicely chaotic. Very refreshing stuff, these three eps.
What's this?