5.0 out of 5 stars Looks gorgeous, but should be called the iPad 3.1., 20 Dec. 2012
Length:: 0:31 Mins

This is a review of the iPad 4, released just a couple of months ago, and really it should have been called the iPad 3.1 (except Apple doesn't use numbers anymore!). Having used both the iPad 3 and the iPad 4, the graphics are the same (the iPad 3 has a retina display as well) and the overall look is the same (once you upgrade the earlier version to iOS 6, that is).

I understand that the main internal difference is the processor speed, and the most obvious external difference is that the charging port has changed from the 30-pin version to a small Lightning Dock, which means that if you are upgrading from the iPad 3 or earlier, all of your accessories which went through the charger are not unusable.

Therefore, there is absolutely no reason to upgrade from the iPad 3, so is it worth upgrading from the iPad 2?

There are some nice additions compared with the iPad 2, but not enough, I think, for someone to upgrade. However, the gorgeous higher-resolution graphics make using this a really nice treat, and worth considering to pay the difference if you are considering the iPad 4 against the slightly cheaper iPad 2.

The video shows what you get in the box - I would suggest buying a screen protector (because even after 10 minutes you could clearly see the residue of fingerprints on the screen) and a case (to protect and enable you to prop it up).

It is surprising to me how much the iPad has been part of my home life. It makes checking emails and internet browsing more...social. You don't need to go to a big machine with a keyboard for casual searching - you can have something closer to a big book.

Secondly, using the iPad for emails is really good. The text is clear, and somehow the pictures seem more vivid, and you can just scroll going up and down with a flick of the finger rather than the organised gestures of the mouse. It may seem like no big difference, but it makes all the word of difference for ease and enjoyment.

I go the Wifi version rather than the 3G version because I am mostly in places which have Wifi (more and more common), but even if I need 3G connectivity, I can tether my iPhone to the iPad. It may cost a few pounds more a month when I use it, but it saves me a hundred pounds now.

I can confirm that both Screen Protector for Apple iPad 2 & 3, Includes Microfibre Cleaning Cloth And Application Card, 6 Pack and TeckNet® New iPad 4, iPad 3 & iPad 2 Premium Folio Leather Case / Cover and Flip Stand With Built-in Magnet for Sleep / Wake Feature + Screen Protector For New Apple iPad 4th Generation, iPad 3 & iPad 2 - Black both work for the iPad 4. I imagine that most, if not all, accessories for the iPad 2 will work for the iPad 4 (apart from those which use the charger, which won't work), but I can confirm that these work.

The battery life is amazing. I have used it for web surfing for several half hours, but only got down to 85% complete.

Overall, a very good investment, and something that I use every day (if only to read my books from the Kindle app - in colour).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Dec 2012 00:10:57 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2013 20:55:41 GMT
James says:
The wi-fi connectivity is better if you have an advanced wireless network that uses dual band then the iPad can use a 5GHz network unlike the iPad which uses 2.4. However at home my iPhone 4S loads pages instantly so you may have a problem with your network.

Posted on 15 Jun 2013 19:27:17 BDT
Shek says:
I like your review. It answered all the questions I had on everyday usefulness as well as mentioning how long the battery lasts which I remember people were saying was terrible for the iPad 3.

Your video, however, leaves a lot to be desired. "Hey everybody, here's a review of an iPad, FOR TWO WHOLE SECONDS. Now let's look at some white plugs for 20 seconds."

Dude, really?!

Posted on 12 Nov 2014 14:38:03 GMT
John Ryan says:
Hi there, you may not know but Amazon are now aggregating reviews for some suppliers. This means your reviews are coming up as duplicates. I'm getting complaints from customers along the line "Why all the spam reviews" and "do you work for Apple or what?". I guess it's eroding confidence in the reviews which is not good for anyone. I've replaced some of my "duplicate" reviews with....

Apologies. It seems Amazon has aggregated products and reviews, and therefore this review simply appears as a duplicate.
You can see my review of the iPad above.

You may want to do the same - I'll leave it you. Good review by the way!! I love the iPad. Great product! ;-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›