on 21 April 2007
I just adore this album - but not at first. It was the same with 'A Certain Trigger' which I also found to be a 'bit of a grower', but quite soon came to love (& through constant playing made the rest of my family love too!)

I think Maximo Park excell in many areas but particularly in their songwriting. They have a unique way of often seeming to stitch two or even three different songs together (as on 'Our Velocity'). Because of this I think their songs continually surprise you and have so much to discover. There's a strong hook line in every one, but it took me about 5 listens to this album right the way through for them to get inside my head. Now I simply cannot stop playing it. So if you feel the same way after one or two listens, don't give up on it.

Stand out tracks for me are 'Our Velocity' which I just put on repeat, 'Books from Boxes' which is heart-rendingly beautiful and 'The Unshockable' but I am growing to love every single song, as I did with 'A Certain Trigger'.

I just don't think there is anyone to better Maximo Park in Britain today - if your musical interests veer towards Alternative/Indie stuff you will love it. The reviewer comparing them to Franz Ferdinand was right - they have a similar intellectual angle, with intriguing & clever lyrics waiting to be discovered and appreciated. Now, I must see them live....! And then await the 3rd album.
What's this?