on 24 May 2012
I'm really not sure if I'm a veteran or not, writing rubbish code since I was a kid in the 80s and getting paid for it for the past couple of decades.

This book is worth a read for all of us, at any level. Ok, maybe a beginner wouldn't get it, but if you've been hacking code long enough to know the modern languages are abstractions and simplifications of what came before then you'll read through the parts that seem less obvious.

Maybe or maybe not a spoiler, but if in doubt, try writing a test case, see how it pans out. Simple and obvious. Most of what is in this book is simple and obvious, but then we do all need that pointing out often and frequently!

It's not a bible of coding, there is no such thing, but it is something we should all have a go at. I didn't rail against anything Steve had to say (unlike, say, Cooper), but that isn't to say he or I are right. I do think he is sticking to making sensible observations about what he thinks is worth saying from a lifetime of coding, as oppose to trying to be exciting. For that alone, I recommend him.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.