on 20 July 2009
First off, I am such a huge fan that I ordered thru UK rather than wait months for it to come to the USA. Unfortunately, I that found this book disturbing--and not in a good way. (Yes, I STILL gave it 3 stars). The story telling was great and I love the way Delaney creates a "chicken skin" type atmosphere...very nice.

But the first rule of writing is to make your characters "sins" forgivable...and I found it hard (and near impossible) to forgive Mam's sins. I know, it makes Alice and Tom perfectly suited but there are some sins of the "father" and in this case "mother" that can't help but leave a stain on the children. Now I'm not so sure how much I like either character.

I also found myself wanting to fast forward to the end of the book because unlike his other books where each page was an adventure and a scary kind of wonder to God-knows-where, in this book, we all knew about the big battle at the end and the only question was how it was going to unfold.

It appears there will be another book...let us hope that Delaney gives the reader a real reason to continue to root for Tom and Alice.
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.