on 16 September 2010
I'm mostly putting this review here for the benefit of any other Circa Survive fans such as myself who might be a bit anxious about the album, having heard that the style has shifted pretty dramatically. I was concerned myself - Juturna and On Letting Go are a couple of my favourite albums from the last few years, and I've admired Anthony Green's work ever since the short-lived original Saosin line-up. I needn't have worried, though - this new album is something really quite special. There's less of the soul-searching atmosphere that pervaded the last couple of CS efforts, but the void has been filled with a handful of songs that have such energy and passion that you can't help but love them. Clear frontrunners are Get Out and Imaginary Enemy, but there are equal highs from some of the more introspective tracks like Through The Desert Alone. There's just as much creativity on display here as before, it's just focused on tracks that have more of an edge. Green's trademark lyrical rawness and vulnerability are still present and correct and seem, if anything, to have an even greater impact juxtaposed in songs that don't sound immediately downbeat. It takes a couple of listens to get to grips with, but after that... wow.

I'm fussy musically, and this hasn't been out of my CD player for a week straight. I hope that counts as a recommendation, because this really is an album that deserves a look.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink