on 28 May 2009
I've always liked Carey's work, but felt that Felix Castor was just John Constantine lite. Don't make that mistake. while the protagonist is similar, with the same history (Liverpool), friends (demons and suchlike) and angst, it's not Castor that's the pulling power here, it's the story and the accuracy.

Fact is that Carey describes my London, from my local defunct cinema in Walthamstow (a zombie hideout? I always had my suspicions!) to a South London Housing estate so similar to the one I grew up on that the book actually made me call my mother to check the facts. Turned out it was all frighteningly accurate.

So put simply ignore the familiarity. Carey writes London and London life more accurately than any writer in the genre. Laugh out loud funny too.

looking forward to his next biography of my life!
What's this?