on 30 November 2010
First of all, I'm a big fan of Bob Weir's playing ability. His rhythym style is well thought out & executed - not conventional at all and very refreshing. In a live setting, he is simply outstanding and my favorite 2nd-string guitarist ever.
I'm giving this album 3 stars because of the lack of thought by whoever picked the tracks assembled on this compilation - I hope it wasn't Bob.
Yes I would've liked to see Greatest Story Ever Told on here but this isn't my main gripe. At least we get Lazy Lightnin'/Supplication.
The major annoyance for me is that the 2nd disc is full of Grateful Dead live performances which are available on other Grateful Dead live cds. Those performances are fine but I would've thought that the live material assembled on the 2nd disc should've come from Bob Weir's live performances outside of Grateful Dead. This release is baffling for this reason.
I made the mistake of purchasing this without looking into what was included in this set - it doesn't do the great man any justice as to the great material he actually has. I can only recommend this (disc 1) for anyone who wants a small taste of his output. Hopefully the powers that be release another compilation that makes sense.
What's this?