on 5 December 2013
I was looking for a laptop warranty and when looking through google I noticed they were selling policies through multiple websites.

Amazon is listing particular one I wanted for approx £169 including AD. Another website listed the EXACT same policy for £133 and it gave me the option to purchase it.

I contacted Squaretrade to find out what was going on to be told 'That policy is exclusive to products bought on that site' despite all the T&C's and info NOT saying that what so ever (I mean it has the option to add the indivudual policy to your basket and completely pay for it/arrange delivery!). I asked if they could match the price as it seemed a bit unfair to pay £40+ for the same thing?

They went away for approx a day or so to look into and came back to say 'Nope, you have to go to the other site and buy the more expensive one', I was informed if I didn't despite the policies being identical in wording/coverage when I came to claim they'd reject it and just refund my money (but wouldnt do this UNTIL I needed to claim).

It seems like they've got a pretty decent scam going on here, setting multiple prices for various websites but forcing you to always buy from the most expensive one otherwise they invalidate your cover. If this is how the company operates i'm quite glad I never took cover out with them... I expected more considering all these 'glowing reports'.

All in all a let down, instead of doing the right thing and merely going 'Yes we'll match it' they dug their heels in, wasted my time and theirs and lost a customer. I was more than happy to buy the policy but why should I pay £40 extra for the same thing, they even tried to make out the policies were different and there was 'less coverage' which is simply not the case. Someone is telling fibs and I don't think they have a clue what they're doing....
11 people found this helpful