on 5 January 2011
I am listening to this right this moment. As I type, final track "Genesis" is playing out. This is the first time I have listened to this album, and I already know I love it! I generally give albums a few spins before judging them, but occassionally something just smacks you in the face as being awesome right off the bat, this was one of those albums.

So then, how does it sound? Well, it's a bit rocky, a touch metally and a touch doomy. Definately Sabbath influence, I reckon some deep purple in there too. And it sounds like that really; it's got guitar, bass, drums, vocals and a hammond organ (Oh yea, 70s throwback at it's finest). So clearly, this band likes retro then. And why not? They do it superbly. I can't put my finger on what it is they do with this fairly average selection of instruments to capture such a cool and groovy sound, but there is certainly something special going on here.

Musicianship is certainly accomplished, some nice guitar solos (short, not long boring expeditions) and there are some excellent riffs.

Vocals? Well vocally, the singer here is very good. His voice is not the best I have ever heard, but it's nice and melodic and it certainly fits the tone of the album here very well indeed. I would say some of the vocal harmonies are quite cheesy but it doesn't detract from the album. If anything it just adds to the retro 70s vibe they are going for.

As for the lyrics I can't claim to be that familiar with them having only just heard the album, but they mostly seems to be quite daft satanic/hammer horror movie type affairs. Not really my personal bag, but again it fits the Black Sabbath sort of vibe.

Recommended? Highly, to any rock or metal fan. Particularly anyone who likes a bit of stoner or doom, this should suit you a treat. I predict big things for this band off the back of this release.

Dom x
33 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?