5.0 out of 5 stars The Great Person Through The Eyes Of A Proud Daughter, 2 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Bapi...the Love of My Life.... (Hardcover)
I only knew Ravi Shankar as a world class Sitar player and nothing more. Never much into Indian classical music nor Sitar music though I like the sound of it. I've always been a rocker. And yes I also knew Ravi Shankar as close friend of George Harrison and father of Norah Jones both of whom I'm a big fan.

Accidentally in the internet, I discovered an Angel with Sitar and that was Anoushka Shankar. I went on to learn more about her. I was surprised as much as happy to find she is Ravi Shankar's second daughter, sister of Norah Jones and a real Sitar player, a renown one. I got her CDs - Rise, Breathing Under Water (with Karsh Kale) and Live In Carnegie Hall (the Grammy nominated album). Right after that, from the hands of Guitar I fell into the arms of Sitar.

Then I searched and found more about her - the videos, the concerts, the interviews, the news, the articles, the blogs, the columns and this book 'Bapi - The Love Of My Life'. I ordered brand new book from Amazon at really good price.

I got so hooked that I wish the book never ended. So simple, beautifully expressed and a very good literacy. Every page is full of black and white photographs of Ravi Shankar from very young age to recent, families, friends, other musicians, George Harrison, Norah Jones and Anoushka herself. That made me feel like I was watching an old movie. A wonderful life story about the legend, not only as a musician but as a person, a father, a friend, a student, a guru, a mentor, a dancer and a joker, encapsulated in 144 pages.

We all love to talk about our dads. My dad is this, my dad is that. And this is what I very much liked in this book. After reading it, my love and respect for Ravi Shankar are multiplied by thousand as well as for Anoushka. Now I know more about him (her too) and that is through the eyes of a proud daughter. I'm longing to read 'Raga Mala - The Autobiography Of Ravi Shankar' and listen to every single record by the World's Best Sitar Player.

Anoushka Shankar is a beautiful woman, a wonderful person, a charismatic lady, a gifted musician, a fantastic Sitar player and a brilliant writer too. I hope she would write more books in the future as I read somewhere that her next book maybe about herself. Preeminently she was born to play Sitar. So much blessed to have everyday blessings of her father - the man sent to this planet by Goddess Sarasvati for the mission.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Mar 2012, 12:29:22 GMT
This is the MOST BEAUTIFUL REVIEW i have read anywhere!!!!! i also love Ravi Shankar and Anoushka's music, and i will DEFINITELY buy this book on account of this review alone... The Person, Sangeet Kusu should write a book themselves, as this review is just STUNNING!!!! :)

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2012, 13:42:19 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Nov 2013, 11:31:54 GMT
Mr. Bluesman says:
Oh! My pleasure to have such a wonderful comment ever. I don't often read and if I do, I pick up non-fictional books like these. That's also once in a blue moon. And I'm a very slow reader that it took me two months to finish this such an interesting book. Guess what? I got the same book autographed by Anoushka at her concert. Thank you very much and all the best with the reading. You will love it for sure if you love music of Shankars.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2012, 16:34:42 GMT
you are welcome Sangeet... i have purchased and am reading this book... through your comment/ review alone... i am, myself, reading what great musicians these beautiful people are.... thank you <3 :)

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2012, 18:52:44 GMT
Mr. Bluesman says:
Thank you! ... You're welcome! ... My pleasure! ... Enjoy reading! ... :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›