It's been just over 20 years since I last studied geography at college I still retain a love for the subject, often finding myself spotting things when I'm out and about, and leaping into action when someone nearby is doing a crossword and asks for the name of a glacial feature starting with an "M" (moraine!) I decided to look for a book which would take me back to those happy days of my youth and plumped for this one.

It's a standard sized paperback (pick up a copy of something like "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" and this is about the same size) so it's no tiny "Collins Gem"-type book, but is still easy to carry around or keep on a shelf without taking up too much room. Inside you'll find the book is, as the title says, a dictionary which covers all aspects of geography, in both the physical and human areas, and although it is heavy on text there are a few black & white diagrams where necessary. You'll also find web links are indicated, but it seems you have to go to the website devoted to the book to get them rather than URLs being printed in the text. The definitions of the terms are surprisingly detailed, and explain things brilliantly well. I wish I'd had a copy of this when I was studying for my A-level.

This isn't a book to read from cover to cover, but as a reference book for a student of this fabulous subject I imagine it would be excellent. For me I like to just open it at a random page, read a definition, and lose a few hours jumping from topic to topic. If you want a lavishly illustrated book with chapters on key subjects such as glaciation, vulcanicity, population growth and so on then you should look elsewhere, but if you just want a dictionary of terms this is for you.

A brilliant book.

2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details