on 3 November 2003
I am so glad this has finally been given the DVD treatment. Way back in the 80s I came across this wonderful comedy drama and lost my heart forever. Nothing nasty ever happens in any of these stories. The wrong kind of records are delivered and a meeting is cancelled but that's as dramatic as it gets. That's not the point though. It's a character driven gem. I could rave about James Bolam and Barbara Flynn until the cows came home but there isn't anyone in here who falls short of perfection. All the characters are wonderful, from Sergeant Hobson to Big and Little Al.
I still rate it as Alan Plater's finest moment ever. Only the second series wavered in quality at all when they take the dreaded school kids to Amsterdam (if I remember correctly) but even that was great.
This is a collection to make you smile and give you a warm squishy feeling inside. I can't recommend it enough.
Remember, "We are on the brink of a new era, if only..."
11 Comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?