5.0 out of 5 stars I can't live without mine now, 22 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Apple iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G - Tablet - 16 GB - 9.7" IPS ( 1024 x 768 ) - rear camera + front camera - Wi-Fi, Bluetooth - 3G - black (Personal Computers)
This is basically the worlds most expensive toy. And you must remember that - it is just a toy. IT IS NOT A COMPUTER!

I bought this so I could sit and muck about on the net in front of the TV in my living room and relegate my laptop to my studio, and for that it is perfect.

It is astonishingly slim, and as with all Apple products, beautifully designed and the touch screen works really well and is responsive. You can use special 'moves' - like pinching the screen - to whizz back to the home page and navigate around as well as tapping in details.

Everything on it works as it should, but you can't really do that much with it - as I say - it's not a computer. It's basically a large iphone. In fact, you can even make calls from it with the right app installed; and its apps which form the basis of this thing...

I suppose to say the ipad is limited is a little unfair, as you can pretty much do anything with it... with the right app installed. So you're only limited by the apps you can find. A lot of the apps are a bit gimmicky, but there are ones of real use I've found such as ones for ebay, Amazon, a TV guide and on-line apps for my bank and energy supplier (so I can give readings, transfer fund and pay bills).

Worth the money? Yes and no. I wouldn't be without mine though and I've only had it a week - I'm a total luddite too and hate computers and technology, but I get along OK with this. My mum has one too and even she loves it as its just so intuitive to use. Now she actually enjoys getting emails and surfing the net... she didn't before, and when you think about it that is pretty amazing: The ipad makes the technology accessible and fun to use for everyone.

It has it's drawbacks though; rather annoyingly you can't 'upload' MP3s (though you can picture files with the addition of a special kit) but you can download them via icloud, along with lots of other fun and useful items in the form of apps from the App store. Then (again with the addition of more expensive extras, like airport express) you can stream your music files to you HiFi or AV receiver, and play them over your home speakers.

Overall - another triumph for Apple. RIP Steve Jobs, lets hope your company keeps creating wonderful products like this now that you're not at its helm. The ipad will be revolutionary... but it's not quite there yet. If you have the patience, it might be worth waiting for the ipad3. I wanted to and probably should have, but lacked the self control. Maybe you'll do better.

1 more bad point: Doesn't support Flash.

1 more good point: Face to face, real person support at the Genius bar, when you buy it from the Apple store. You can't put a price on that.

UPDATE:
I've had my ipad2 for about 3 months now, and I have to say, it's become and integral part of my everyday life. My computer is now redundant and I use this item every day, with out fail. This is the future, and the future's bright, the future's Apple. A truly revolutionary piece of technology that does what all technology should: improve you life by making it better and easier.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]