Learn more Download now Shop now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now Learn more

on August 9, 2010
Man, I love dumb movies like this. Let's sail into shark-infested waters, dump a few buckets of chum to attract all of the terrifying beauties, and then hop out there on our surfboards to Hang Ten amongst all the finny goodness. We'll call it blood surfing. What could possibly go wrong? If you're thinking human shark bait, then I'm afraid you're probably not cut out for a career writing or directing low-budget monster movies. Use your imagination, man! We're somewhere off the coast of the Philippines, so what if we throw a few horny guerilla fighters on the island? Ones who've been fantasizing about white women all their lives. No, that's not enough. We need something big, something unusual, something the audience won't be expecting. But what's more scary and deadly than a shark or a guerilla? Yeah, yeah, of course we have booby traps in the island jungle - I should think that goes without saying. Wait a minute. I've got it. A salt-water crocodile. No, not just any salt-water crocodile. I'm talking the biggest, baddest saltie you've ever seen. Would you believe 31 feet? Yeah, now we're talking. Now we've got us a movie worth watching.

I thought the two surfer dudes who signed up for this blood surfing gig were dumb - until the woman shooting the "blood surfing" documentary grabbed her camera and jumped into the bloody water wearing nothing more than some skimpy-looking chain mail body suit that wouldn't even protect her from a mosquito bite. As it turned out, such acts of stupidity would recur time and again as this story played out. Needless to say, someone is getting eaten before all is said and done. Sadly, the director does tend to cop out on the gore of the actual killings, but you have to love the periodic "croc cam" perspectives and marvel at the sight of a giant crocodile - fake as it is - hurling all 31 feet of itself up out of the water to snatch the human meal of its choosing off of a boat.

Although Blood Surf (also known as Krocodylus) does seemingly borrow a few scenes from other sources (there's even a sailor with an Ahab-like obsession with killing the monster), the whole plot is by-the-numbers, and the giant crocodile is obviously fake, I must say I found the film quite entertaining. Of course, I'm the type of person who enjoys watching films in which crocodiles attack unimportant and/or annoying characters. As long as you go into this film with realistic expectations, I don't think you should be too horribly disappointed - if nothing else, you're guaranteed a few laughs. And just think about this: where else are you going to find two attractive young women flashing a giant crocodile?
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink