on 8 August 2010
I just finished reading this short story. In my opinion, "A Very Hairy Adventure," is a remarkable achievement. I was concerned that it might be too short to portray adequately the tale that the description said it contained. I needn't have worried. The author pulled it off superbly. She even manages to include such things as the local economy, customs of the people, and the laws of the land and the reason those laws exist.

I found the tale to be vividly descriptive. The author doesn't tell us what's going on in the tale. She shows us. I like that! When you read the description of the lair, you'll see what I mean.

The characters Slade, Wulfstan, Ursula, and Ming are all remarkably well developed for a work of this length. That's always a concern when purchasing short stories. Again, in this case I need not have worried.

The battle scene is well written. The author utilizes a party of adventurers quite well, playing to the strengths and weaknesses of the characters with ease.

There were a couple of typos, but they did not distract me from the tale. In my opinion, this tale is so good that I would not take away a star from it because of the typos.

The lessons about responsibility for one's actions learned in this tale make it a good tale for one to consider reading to children. Granted, you may want to skip some of the more descriptive sentences in the lair scene for the very young.

I highly recommend this read. I'm glad that I purchased her novel, "Erich's Plea," and hope to find the time to read it soon.

If there were a Horizon Award for authors, this author would deserve one. She is definitely someone I'll be watching in the future. With a bit of seasoning, this author will prosper, and so will her readers!

If I sound excited about her, that's because I am. I am also thrilled to get to be the first to review this read.

Have a great day,