5.0 out of 5 stars And I don't even like Mcfly!, 8 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Motion in the Ocean (Bonus Track) (Audio CD)
I've never particulary been a Mcfly fan, and have avoided their albums and songs like the plague, not because they're really bad, just because I find their songs very soft and predictable. However, when I was watching MTV and Transylvania came on, and I was blown away. Transylvania is an amazing song, so different from their other stuff, it's very gothic, loud and unique. I went out to buy the single, but found the album was on offer and nearly the same price, so I bought it. Quite honestly I was expecting to hate it and have to skip through all the songs to get to Transylvania, but I was wrong. I've been listening to their album non stop for about a week now and it still isn't getting old.

SONGS

1) We are the young - 8.5/10, This song is definetly not my favourite of the album, especially as the opening sounds very familiar, but it is very upbeat and gets you into the mood for the rest of the album. It has a good beat and features good group singing, although it seems a bit bland to me.

2) Star Girl - 9.5/10, when I heard this song on TV I hated it, but I love it now. The words are so teenagerish (if that's even a word) and I love it because of that. The tune is very addict and again i love the use of background singing. Only fault with this song in my opinion is the slow bit in the middle, it dampens the mood.

3) Please, Please - 9/10, I do like this song, it's also very addictive, but for some reason Tom's lisp when he says please really annoys me. Danny sounds great in this though and really sells the words. It'll have you bopping along in no time.

4)Sorry's not good enough - 10/10, I really like this song, because the lyrics are very true and are sung in a way that allows anyone to relate to them. If you listen to this song though it can sound very boybandish, but if you like boybands, then you'll adore it. This song is sung in a way that makes you feel as though it's being sung to you, which I really like.

5)Bubble Wrap - 10/10, I absolutely love this song, the tune is beautiful and soft, which mixes well with the romantic and sad lyrics. The first verse and chorus,sung by Tom, is very gentle and beautiful, then the second verse and second chorus are sung by Danny and have more of a punch, which is great, because it prevents the song from getting too depressing. If it wasn't for Transylvania, this would probably be my favourite song.

6)Transylvania - 10.5/10, No words can really describe this song, it's brilliant. It's so fun and even though the lyrics don't make much sense, it doesn't matter because the tune, words and tone are just magnetic. Plus Dougie's voice is amazing, it's a pity really that he doesn't sing more often, because he definetly steals the limelight in this song.

7)Lonely - 10/10, another beautiful song about love, I love the tune at the beginning of this song, it's so addictive. At first I found this song slightly irratating, but it grows on you fast, and once you really listen to the words and way the boys sing it, you love it.

8)Little Johanna - 8/10, slightly childish and can be annoying. The words don't make any sense really, especially when they start describing Johanna as a "sunkissed trampeline", but still the tune is really fun and bouncey. This is more of a song for dancing and laughing along to, it wouldn't give you an deep philosophical thoughts.

9)Friday Night - 10/10, I like this song, because it sounds more mature then the other songs and alot heavier. I really like the excessive use of instruments in this, and the fact that it's mainly sung by Danny, because it makes the song seem alot older. I still don't really understand what the songs on about, but I love it.

10)Walk in the sun - 9.5/10, this is just sung by Danny and is so different from Mcfly's usual stuff that you may struggle to like it at first. This song is more about the lyrics, which is good as the tune can get a bit repetitive and boring. However, the way Danny sings the song, spectacularly and full of emotion, makes it a very beautiful song. It can get a bit slow and depressing after a while though, but if it does just turn back to Transylvania or Please, Please.

11)Home is where the hard is - 8/10 - Not a bad song, but a dull to have been the last song on their ablum, luckily thanks to the bonus track it isn't. This song is quite pleasant to listen to, but compared to the otehr songs its very weak. Once Danny starts singing though, the song picks up and becomes alot edgier. The tune is a very boring, but the singing harmonies work very well.

12) Don't stop me now - 10/10, I've heard that quite alot people don't like this remake, which I can't understand at all. I find it absolutely amazing. It's so cool, it'll have you singing along and dancing in minutes. Mcfly really put their stamp on it and bring an aging song back to a younger audience. After listening to this song, I immidiately wanted to go out partying, which is a brilliant way to finish an album.

The song Don't stop me now, finishes after about 4 minutes, but do not stop the CD there. If you have fast forward, go to 8 minutes 23 and another song will start. I have no idea why they've put it there, especially as if you waited for it, you'd have to wait nearly 5 minutes. Still it's an extra song. It's very short and sounds as though it's live, the instruments sound a bit too loud, but the tune is catchy. Because it's live some of the words are hard to catch, but it's fun to listen to anyway. I'd give it an 8.5/10.

Overall this is a brilliant album, and whether or not you're a McFly fan, it's worth listening to this album, because it definetly has something for everyone on it.

Thanks for reading,

Steph

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]