on 24 May 2010
This is a must have tool for any (delete as appropriate)unpublished, published, agented, non-agented writers. Diverse enough?

I picked this book up for two reasons. Firstly, because I had heard such rave reviews about it. I thought it would be very useful as I'm currently in the process of writing my first novel. Secondly, I am currently writing an essay on the business of publishing for the Masters in Creative Writing I am studying towards. Again, from what I'd heard, this book would be an authoritative resource.

It has not disappointed on either score. Carole Blake manages to combine direct honesty with a very personable style of non-fiction writing. This makes the book not just an interesting read, but also a surprisingly enjoyable read for someone like me, who never usually picks up a work of non-fiction.

The book is split into 4 sections: 'Before Your Book is Sold'; From Contract to Publication; 'Publication and Beyond; 'Appendixes' which gives crucial additional resources and information.

As an 'aspiring' novelist you could argue only part one is relevant for me. However, the other sections, that include information on areas such as marketing plans and sales, contracts, publicity and more, give information that can help when you're thinking about the audience and demand for your own book. This can help how you shape it and also how you sell it in to agents in the first place.

A very helpful resource for both my own writing and my essay. I'd wholeheartedly recommend to others, wherever they sit on the writing spectrum.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink