on 9 June 2012
I have had one of these stoves for about 14 years - I am on my second only because the first one was stolen in a garage break in (only 2-3 years after I purchased the original one)and was delighted to still be able to buy the same model.

They're easy to use, kick out a great amount of heat and the built in windshield works really well - I've never had any problems lighting it and camp regularly in the UK wind and rain.

Despite only using unleaded fuel in it and not the cleaner Coleman fuel I've never had any problems with the fuel line blocking or anything - I've simply followed the instructions of repeatedly swinging the lighting lever between the two positions several times when extinguishing the stove - this seems to have been effective in clearing the tubes.

The legs also mean you can stabilise it in most bumpy surfaces (although I have only used it in fields as a pose to mountainsides)

I currently use this stove in conjunction with a meths burning Trangia as the only slight draw back of the stove is it's harder to keep the flame on a low setting, and I find the Trangia great for simmering things I've got to boiling point on the Feather. (I mostly 'car' camp so have the luxury of having two stoves).

I was thinking about buying an MSR stove as I'm planning on doing more pack backing in the next few years and felt the Trangia was too slow at boiling water etc to be my sole stove. Having done some research I then looked at the spec for the Feather again and realised it is only 100g or so heavier than the MSR stoves I was looking at so now have just decided to use this stove for my back packing. I couldn't believe it was only a little heavier - looking at the technology and design of the MSR stoves you'd think they'd be a lot lighter. But I'm sticking with the Feather for now thanks!
66 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?