on 11 February 2013
I've had a number of all-in-one printers over the years, mostly HP, but this one has been the most difficult to set up. The more a machine does, the more there is to set up and this always adds to the difficulty level. I bought mine from Argos for the amazing price of £49.99. On the Argos website it describes as having Bluetooth which is does not. In order to enable Bluetooth you have to buy the dongle from Canon (BU-30) which is at the moment of writing, on Amazon reduced from £89.99 to £57.99. This is much more than the printer cost me so I'm not sure why it's so expensive. Other Bluetooth dongles are much cheaper, but I've tried and old HP one I have and it won't work. I suspect that you have to by the Canon at the inflated price which doesn't warm me to this maker. I just find Bluetooth useful sometimes but wifi does a similar job I suppose.
The first problem was entering my wifi key. I couldn't see a way of entering a letter (rather than a number) as there was no indication on the printer's keyboard as to how this could be achieved. I had to Google the question and found that pressing the asterisk, enabled letter and capitals to function - I couldn't have guessed that one!
However for the price I paid, this machine does a lot. The auto feed is particularly useful if I want to copy a few pages at once I don't have to feed each one in by hand. Yes it's fairly noisy but no more than other machines I've had.
The cartridges are also about the same price over all. There is one colour cartridge rather than the three in some machines. I have always replaced all three colours each time as they all run out at the same time, so this one cartridge just makes it easier.
I won't be using the fax but it's there if I need to. The wireless is useful and I can use my Android phone app to send documents to the printer, but I've yet to find out how to do it with my Nokia (Symbian) - I'm waiting to hear back from Canon on this. HP had a Nokia app which was useful.
The surface is prone to finger prints but this is not a deal-breaker as most machines are the same. I'm sure this fashion to have high gloss will change but meanwhile I'll just keep a duster nearby.
The print quality is fine as I only use it for text and charts. I'm not sure about photo quality as I don't need it for that.
It comes with 2 discs, one for Windows and one for Apple. The User Guide is on the disc, so you have to download the software in order to get to it which is common to most printers. There is a Quick Start guide in the box which gets you to that stage.
I must admit that I was very disappointed that it didn't have Bluetooth, but as I paid so little for it I've decided to keep it. I'm sure I haven't explored half of its capabilities yet and I probably won't need them all. I must say it's excellent value for money from some shops so do your research before buying as prices change.
What's this?