on 5 February 2012
After a lot of research I bought this as it seemed to be the best 7inch tablet available at the moment. I got fed up waiting for the Kindle Fire to be available in the UK, and got a good price for the Acer from Amazon Uk. - 232 pounds
I bought a soft case straight away to protect it.
The build quality of the A100 is very good. Before buying I had looked at the Acer website and had downloaded the Acer usb windows driver and the Acer A100 manual, both of which I think are useful.
Setting up was reasonable easy once I was able to type the password for my broadband correctly, the software keyboard is tricky to use, ie to press the correct key.
I have bought the following apps, thumb keyboard, this is much better than the supplied keyboard, but you still have to be accurate with your pressing, I bought the full version of Documents to Go and Pro Office Suite. For this to become more than just a toy I need to have a "killer" use for it. I use spreadsheets a lot and I had hoped this might be the killer use, but typing numbers accurately is difficult, basically the software keyboards take up too much of the screen when using a spreadsheet. I am looking at the wireless keyboards as a possible solution. I have got a stylus and that does help a lot, and also a screen protector.
I also wanted to pay videos on the tablet, I usually convert my films into mpeg format which is not supported in the Android operating system.
I purchased Foxreal Video converter for my desktop which has an amazing range of conversions and made some clips that play on the Acer A100. However the files are much bigger than the corresponding mpeg version and take a long time to convert. Then I bought MX Video player pro for the Acer 100, this seems to play all formats including my mpeg recordings, it is a good purchase.
I loaded the Kindle app from Amazon and downloaded a book, yes it works and some(seemingly many) people like this format, but I like a book.
Overall the Acer A100 is good, I had no problems except with the software keyboard, I did spend money on further apps and accessories. After using it for 3 weeks I now find that I use it for browsing the internet and checking my email as my first choice rather than firing up a PC.
I like the quality of the screen and the size of the tablet.
What's this?