on 12 June 2014
John Conroe - an author I follow avidly, and as a result of my addiction to his previous works, found myself reading and rereading them as each new instalment was released. I was thrilled when I saw that Executable was due for release and waited patiently for its arrival.

So it was with mixed emotions I realised that this instalment didn't continue Chris and Tanya's tale, disappointment warring with anticipation at the opportunity to learn more about the magical world outside of theirs. Conroe knows how to world build, create tension and anticipation with his readers and this book was no exception.

I found the story a bit slow to start, and it felt that the book was aimed more at YA when compared to his other books, but Conroe's writing style won through and I was eventually pulled into Declan and Caeco's world, and must say, thoroughly enjoyed this book - but more as a standalone than any continuation or off-shoot to the original series. As it was a retelling of the same tale but from Declan's perspective, perhaps those who haven't read all the Gordon novels would enjoy it a lot more - after all, I knew where and what the outcome would be. Declan is still at school, a 17 year old male warlock who has hidden his abilities from others, protected by his aunt all his life, and Caeco is a magical being on the run from a research lab - a "unique" person with little experience of the outside world.

On the plus side, I feel that Conroe is perhaps "shaping" a new Gordon - Declan, a young warlock who is already breaking the mould by being immensely more powerful when compared to other warlocks, is yet untrained and would benefit from independent guidance without the stigmatism applied to warlocks, their primary use is being married off to a strong witch to improve their bloodline.

Caeco reminds me a little of Tanya - unassuming, powerful and meant to be with Declan. I am looking forward to reading more about them in forthcoming books, perhaps when theirs and Gordon's two worlds intertwine more intensely.

As always, excellent writing, excellent story-telling, but for me the plot just didn't work right. When you have been spoiled by Chris and Tanya's might, it takes a mental shift to step backwards and sideways - something I found a little difficult to do.
What's this?