on 19 January 2010
I really wish I had never read this book. I think that the original Dune novels are wonderfully written books, with deep characterisation, complex and rich plots, well-thought out and believable world-building, fascinating ideas on religion and society, and beautiful language.

I wish I had NEVER been tempted to read this book. Herbert Jnr and Anderson have a dreadful writing style, they produced bland, cardboard cutout characters, their chapters are ridiculously short, everything feels shallow and skimmed over; there is no soul or depth to these books! In other reviews by Amazon customers their writing has been described as fanfic given official sanction, I think that could be seen as an insult to fanfic, because fanfic authors can produce a better standard of work than this book.

As far as I'm concerned, the Dune universe ended with Chapterhouse Dune and that was a bloody good ending in comparison to the drivel these two authors have foisted on Dune fans.

I read this book for completeness sake, because I wanted to have an idea of where Frank Herbert was heading with the plot - I refuse to believe that he was heading down a road this mediocre, cliched, and boring. If it was possible to give this book a minus number of stars, I would.
0Comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?