on 26 July 2004
Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE fan of the X Files. I was so excited to hear of a PS2 game, having played the brilliant X Files game for PC, that I put this on my wishlist as soon as it came up for pre-order on Amazon. However, I've just taken it off again having played it this weekend - I just didn't enjoy it and felt I'd rather watch a few decent episodes than play this.
I've seen better graphics elsewhere (Splinter Cell, 007 Everything or Nothing) and quite frankly gameplay is irritating. The camera switches about unpredictably between game areas, so when you enter a new area you can't tell which way you're facing so you end up going back and forth (with the associated loading times). Getting the pickups is hit and miss and progress is slow. There's no damage indicator on the display - you have to go to the inventory to find out how hurt your character is. There's little variety in what you have to do - shoot zombies (lots if you're Mulder), run around a lot, pick up a few things. Reloading is slow and frequent. Playing as Scully you get to perform autopsies.... well, you do if you can work out how to do it!! To save the game you have to keep returning to a save point; located in one spot in the level - so there's a lot of to-ing and fro-ing to be done if you don't want all your hard work to be lost. In the end I just couldn't be bothered, it was all too tedious, even with a walkthrough!
It isn't all bad, hence the 2 stars - the inventory is pretty good and you have the ability to zoom in on objects it contains, plus you can search them (if you pick up a box or package you might find a first aid kit inside). It's chock full of X Files series references and there are some interesting extras. Plus the music of course.
All in all, I was disappointed with this game; I will probably buy it eventually but I wouldn't pay more than a tenner for it. I shall go back to playing James Bond, Tomb Raider and Indiana Jones.
What's this?