Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I titled my review "you will be liable to re-think everything", though let me be clear that I do not mean this in a bad way.

Gaby Hinsliff's books is extremely thought-provoking, and whether you're a working-for-pay mum or a working-really-hard-at-home-without-pay mum, I think the book will probably have you re-assessing why you do what you do, how you do what you do, and whether or not you should change what you do.

More than that, though, it's a refreshing book especially in terms of having the father re-think his role, too. Hinsliff has done a good job at looking where the law is skewed against dads wanting to have more time with their children, as well as where families can fall into the frustrating situation of one partner (usually mum) staying home and dad just working all the harder away from home, with subtle messages that can cause division and resentment.

I happen to be a stay-at-home-mum partly because going to work just wasn't going to cover my childcare bills, and though I have some of the wistfulness about "something more" that Hinsliff captures so well in this exploration of modern family life, I have reassessed in light of her book and still come to the conclusion that my time with the children is incredibly precious and, in the grand scheme of things, short-lived.

Never the less, I am extremely grateful that Hinsliff's book has overturned a great many rocks for me, and has allowed me to examine what's underneath them.

Finally, I think this book would be excellent reading for a) husbands (as it explains that sometimes inexpressible friction that women often feel when shouldering the childcare and house management burden as well as their paid employment), b) teenagers and young people (so they can be -- perhaps -- a bit better prepared for the "real world"), and c) politicians, especially Government ministers (so they can be ... ahem ... a bit better prepared for the "real world").
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details