on 28 March 2013
I don't care what anyone else says about this film - I love it. I tend to read reviews before I watch the film, so I started with not much hope as most of the reviews said that it wasn't especially worth watching. However, 10 minutes in, I was totally captivated by the story and the plot.

Firstly I must say that I loved the music in this film. Many have said that the songs were the let down of the whole film, but I think that without the songs this film wouldn't have been as good as it was. The plot of the film is pleasantly simple: two brothers who want their band to succeed over fellow classmates' band U2. From the off, this film managed to grab the interest of the audience and the development of the two brothers' relationship throughout the film was enjoyable to watch, especially as it was quite lifelike: brothers do not always get along.

Ben Barnes as Neil McCormick was perfect for the role. I think he played the character to exactly the right tone: we as an audience aren't really supposed to like Neil because he always makes the wrong choices, effecting both him and others around him, and the way which Ben Barnes manages to convey the character's outlook of his decisions sets a perfect tone for the film. Robert Sheehan as Ivan McCormick is personally my favourite character as the younger brother who (spoiler alert) is stopped from being in U2 by Neil's bad decisions. A lot of reviews I have read about this character have said that he didn't live up to expectations, however I feel that, similarly to Ben Barnes, Robert Sheehan managed to capture both the innocence and the raw emotion of Ivan. The other characters in the film were also likeable and sometimes comedic in the film, with special mention of the late Pete Postlethwaite, Martin McCann and Peter Serafinowicz as landlord Karl, Bono/Paul Hewson and manager Will Hammond respectively.

To sum up, this film is one of the best films I have seen in a while, with the right tone, pacing and plot lines as well as developed and interesting characters. I have watched it several times, and I would definitely recommend this to anyone who asked about it who was looking for an enjoyable Friday film night or just for a laugh. And for any Robert Sheehan fans out there, he bends over. In skinny jeans. Just saying.
What's this?