on 13 January 2014
If you are reading reviews for this monitor, you probably have just bought one or are thinking about buying one. I fall into the first category here and have to admit that I don't play games on this PC (but my grandson does) so I felt that I didn't really need a monitor with this spec for what I do on the PC.
However, I read all the reviews and bit the bullet, and although we've only had it for a few weeks, this is what I think about it. From the off I should say I'm not the kind of person that understands all the technical guff, I just wanted something that I can basically plug in and use. (It turns out that you can't).
Anyway, the monitor comes in a big box and you get only a DVI cable supplied (no HDMI cable) but apparently if you want to use the HDMI connection you will not get the 120hz option? The monitor looks great and it's easy to assemble the sturdy, fully adjustable stand. So I used the supplied DVI cable and the monitor immediately showed that it is indeed capable of 144Hz even though it is advertised as 120Hz. My previous monitor was a 22 inch widescreen and the screen size difference is very noticeable. So far, all good news, but then I saw just how true the other reviews are about the default settings. They're not just awful, they are really awful!! The colours are bleached out and it's so bright it's like looking into a light bulb, so why a manufacture would build these default settings into a monitor is beyond me. But fortunately, other reviewers have given the settings they have used and are happy with, so surely it can't be too difficult to set it up? Well it's not really. The Menu system takes a bit of fathoming out at first, it's slow, it's clunky and there's bits in it that I have no idea about but I managed to set it up in the suggested way and it did improve. Now these settings might be fine for gaming, but as I said, I also use this PC for general stuff, and looking at a web page or a document was hurting my eyes as it was still so bright. In the end, I just tried every combination of everything in the Menu I could find (which, believe me took quite a while) until I finally got something I was sort of satisfied with. Now, I do appreciate that this monitor is designated a "gaming" monitor, so for general PC use it might not be the ideal choice, but anyway, it's still set on 144Hz, it's plugged into an nVidia GTX 670 graphics card and I'm happy enough using it.
The settings I ended up using for general work (web browsing, M/s Office etc) are:
First, because I'd messed about with it so much, I did a total default reset on the monitor then selected Picture Advanced Mode = MOVIE, Brightness = 30, Contrast = 40, Sharpness = 6, Black Eq = 8, Colour Temp = User, - Red = 85, Green = 85, Blue = 89, AMA = 5. (Warning, don't over sharpen as text seems to grey out if you do and it took me ages to realise that sharpening was the cause).
I then saved these settings under Gamer 2. Don't forget that you then have to select Gamer 2 in the Advanced Picture Mode Menu. To me, these settings produce a bright screen that's not giving me a headache and has decent colours, but it's each to his own preference and other people might not agree with what I see.
So next we looked at the gaming side.
My grandson is currently playing games like Battlefield 4, Call of Duty Ghosts and World of Tanks at max quality and uses the in-game controls to tweak the colours, brightness etc. so his monitor gaming settings are totally different to mine and he has them saved as Gamer 1. (There is a sort of short cut to change the Picture Mode on the Menu buttons by pressing any button and selecting the square with the dots in and this saves you having to scroll through loads of Picture Mode settings). My grandson is convinced that his gaming play has improved by a big margin since we got the new monitor, he reckons that he now sees things that were not visible on the old screen and his accuracy is much better.
So, all in all, am I pleased with this monitor? I have to say yes because of how it works in gameplay, but if you're not a serious gamer and planning to use it more for general use than gaming, then my suggestion is to think twice. This monitor is a lot more expensive than other 24 inch 60Hz monitors and it definitely needs more than a tweak to set it up to your individual preferences.
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.