on 4 April 2014
I purchased this book from another seller. I am working my way through the recipes within this book and so far they have all come out brilliantly. The author gives a list of equipment that he believes is needed for his recipes, but he does state that things like the 12L tub for mixing are his preference & not essential. I for one have no intention of getting one of these and use a 6L mixing bowl. Forkish always makes enough dough for two loaves of bread, I half his recipes and make enough for one at a time. He does not use a stand mixer, nor does he do lots of kneading, as his recipes are slow rise and most take at least 18hrs.. Forkish gives concise instructions and reasons for working the way he does and if you are not sure you can watch his methods on YouTube.

Some say that this book is not for the novice but I would argue why learn to make bread the wrong way, when you can start off as you should go on. I do agree with Forkish that we know far more about the science of bread making and we all have fridges, so why continue making bread the way we have made for over 100 years. We need to learn and adjust. Also if you just want to turn out a loaf of bread that tastes the same as you can buy from any bakers what is the point?

The one piece of equipment that you'll definitely need for his recipes is a Dutch Oven that can withstand very high temperatures.
24 people found this helpful