on 26 September 2008
'Bermondsey Boy' the Tommy Steele autobiography.
I was born three years after the war finished but there was still rationing on certain things and times were hard. Tommy Steele's wonderful book brings back the even harder years before my birth and he writes with such passion and warmth.
I can remember Dad bringing home 78's and playing them on his beloved radiogram,'Singing The Blues', 'Nairobi', 'Handful Of Songs' with the infectious 'Water Water' on the flip side. It was a wonderful time to be brought up and I relished and identified with many things in the book, it was like a nostalgia trip for me. Our mothers seemed to have been separated at birth and I dearly miss mine too.
Tommy Steele has been an amiable presence in practically the whole of my life and I thoroughly enjoyed his account of his early years. I am a no nonsense Yorkshireman and he reduced me to blubber when Darbo pressed the half crown into his palm at the end of the book.
I do hope there will be a sequel
Michael Baxter, Hull, East Yorkshire
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.