TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 May 2008
Format: DVD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I don't know much about ballet, except that I decided I wanted to 'get into' in when I saw the production of 'The Nutcracker' included on this collection one Christmas. Watching it again, I was as mesmerised as the first time by the lavish sets & costumes but moreso the dancing, which conveyed the story brilliantly by the characters exaggerating body language through their movements. This is without doubt the most spectacular Nutcracker I have ever seen.

I have never seen 'Swan Lake' or 'The Sleeping Beauty' performed before but even I in my ignorance have heard of The Kirov Ballet, so knew these would be excellently produced. And I was not disappointed.

However, I'm sorry to say I was rather disappointed by the film quality of these productions. Bear in mind when buying that they were filmed in 1991, 1985 & 1983, so the picture is rather more grainy than on modern DVDs - such a shame they didn't try to digitise them. They are also in the 4:3 old-fashioned TV picture format, rather than widescreen. I personally found this rather distracting for the first few minutes of each production but the magic of these excellent productions soon shone through.

It's also worth noting that 2 of these discs are in the NTSC format but this should only be a problem if your TV is more than about 10 years old or your DVD player doesn't like the NTSC format (which the vast majority do) so won't affect most people.
0Comment| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?