VINE VOICEon 3 October 2006
Sam's Town is the much anticipated follow up to The Killers debut Hot Fuss and sees the band taking a slightly different direction. There is a lot less 80s-style synth on the album. Sam's Town appears to be influenced by the likes of Bruce Spingsteen - it's a lot more Americana than the previous Brit-inspired album.

Initial reaction was not too favourable - I was initially underwhelmed. Whereas Hot Fuss had several anthemic tunes, Sam's Town seemed to lack in that area. But there's no denying that the first single, When You Were Young, is one of the best songs of the year.

After listening to the album some more it has grown on me a lot. When You Were Young is the strongest track in my opinion but there other standout tracks such as Uncle Johnny (with great guitar riff throughout with some great melodies being paired with the vocals perfectly) and For Reasons Unknown (which I think will be released as a single). I own the special edition which contains one bonus track but it's not very good.

To sum up, I like this album a lot. I wasn't so sure at first but gave it a chance and it's really grown on me. I think this album could divide existing fans but personally I would recommend it.
What's this?