on 24 December 2012
I'm not the world's greatest expert on the Fu Manchu saga and I have an uneasy feeling that I still haven't read the last couple of novels even though I've owned them since the 70s, but the thing that always brought me back to the Sax Rohmer (and Cay Van Ash) tales was the breakneck pace.
The Terror of Fu Manchu moves along at the same kind of speed and didn't take long to read because of this.
Maynard is described as a life-long fan of the original tales and there's nothing to disprove that - the annoying personal characteristics of both Nayland Smith and Petrie that I missed completely in my teens but noticed as I got older, are all there.
A century later there's a slight increase in the risque nature of some scenes but little to offend as I'm sure was the case with the original novels - despite advice that the novel uses the language and attitudes "of the time" I wasn't troubled by any portrayal of non-English characters.
I can recommend this novel to anyone wanting to read more about Fu Manchu's attempts to destroy The West and am looking forward to reading the follow-up.
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details