4 of 5 people found the following review helpful
Great software and now impressed by the camera
, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Zu3D Animation Kit for Windows PCs, Apple Mac OS X and iPad iOS: complete stop motion animation kit with camera, software and animation handbook (CD-ROM)
The kids love the animation software. It is really helpful and sufficiently feature rich to make super short films.
EDIT- it seems that the original camera was faulty. A similar camera was sent by the super ZuLogic team, and although it looks almost the same, it works beautifully. The colours and sound are now much, much better. The new camera only uses a USB connection - the faulty one had a separate connection for the sound.
Some things were less good - like the Voice recording. It does not let you test to get the volume correct.
And getting the camera settings correct was quite difficult...
The camera itself was ok - but
* colours burnt out in good lighting, meaning that most movies were made in dull lighting. This may be controlled by one of the many settings - but I could not figure it out. You could not immediately see the effect of changing a camera setting.
* the led lights, over a shorter distance at least, results in spots of light. Nice idea, but less useful than expected.
* the focus ring works - but it is easy to move the camera when you do so. Would be even nicer if the focus could be controlled on the computer [though I guess that that type of camera would cost much more]
* for an HD camera, it seemed moderately low quality (grainy and poor colour matching) - though I tried different fps vs quality settings. The green-screen cloth looked quite grey on the computer, even in good light.
* the built-in microphone is not very sensitive - you have to shout at it to pick up. Tried all settings and twiddled knobs, but never got really good results. The best bet is to complete the movie first, then hold the camera close to your mouth to record any voice-overs.
Not bad enough to be upset - as I said, the kids love it!
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you?