on 25 October 2006
"Becky Bananas, this is your life," is a children's novel, while at the same time an intelligent and thought provoking tale. I first read it at eleven years old and five years on, I haven't outgrown it. It's one of my favourites, and I never cease to cry at the end no matter how many times I read it.

The book is about eleven year old Becky Banaras, A.K.A. Becky Bananas, who is looking back at her life so far; her early years living with her mother, uncle, and grandmother in Bethnal Green, her new life in Kensington, her experiences with her younger brother, her dreams and ambitions to become a dancer, and her recent battles with lukaemia.

Rather than trying to make us feel sorry for Becky, Ure manages to make us feel enlightened by what we have read, with her excellent use of comedy, nostalgia, and looking towards the future, which is apparent throughout every page.

However, whether we are made to feel sorry for Becky or not, if you're one who always creis at films and books, then beware; you may sart crying even before you finish it.

I recommend this book to children between the ages of 9-13, and can easily become a firm favourite to many long after they have left that age range. It did with me, and I recommend it to as many people as possible. Hankies at the ready!
What's this?