on 9 September 2011
THE MISTRESS'S REVENGE is written in the style of a journal - something which I thoroughly enjoyed - from the point of view of a woman scorned. Both Sally and Clive have partners but when Clive goes `back' to his wife, Sally can't accept that the affair is over. And the more obsessed she becomes with his family, the more she neglects her own.

This is a thought provoking book in the sense that what happened to Sally could happen to any woman. For some readers, the story could be seen as too over the top but I found it totally absorbing. I felt Sally's hurt and demise. I felt sorry for everyone around her. I felt anger towards Clive. I felt annoyed at her obsession. All different emotions - that's what makes a good story for me.

THE MISTRESS'S REVENGE has received mixed reviews. I can see why but I can also see more why I enjoyed it so much. I found myself immersed in the story and could actually feel Sally breaking down. The book is very dark, yet very witty in places. And I particularly liked the ending. In some ways it was unsatisfying. In others it was clever and reckless. Did Sally set out to do what she was going to do? Did she get her revenge? For me, it was what I read between the lines that made it more intriguing...
5 people found this helpful