This was the first book I read on my new Kindle. I have to admit that I picked it because it was free at the time I got it, but now I have finished it I would highly recommend it!

I usually read science fiction, but for a change I also enjoy fantasy and children's books.

This book reminds me of some of Philip Pullman's works for younger readers such as I was a Rat and that really can't be a bad thing!

The story contains many of the standards in fantasy writing, a quest, druids, witches, a dragon, magical rituals and many other things to capture the interest of young enquiring minds.

After reading The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell many years ago I always enjoy seeing variations on the classic "Hero cycle" and this book fits nicely.

One thing that this book has in addition to those more usual themes is a flight back in time to Roman Britain! This I felt was the highlight of the book and very nicely done indeed. I can imagine children who have no interest in history being keen to find out more about the Romans in Britain after reading this book.

If I had any writing skill at all, this would be the sort of book I would have loved to have written.

All in all a very enjoyable read and an impressive first novel!

A well deserved five stars.
33 Comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details