on 6 October 2004
I thought I would add my comments to the seemingly endless list of praise for this machine, as normally I wouldn't buy a 'no name' product, and I just want to reassure any 'like minded' individuals out there.
I wanted a multi-region player so I could play region 1 disks, and opted for the Yakuma, after reading some of the comments posted on Amazon. After all there is so much positive feedback, that if it turned out to be a dud, £34.99 is hardly breaking the bank.
I currently have a Sony player which is region 2 only, and cost £170. Side by side you can't tell that the Yakuma is a bargain basement product, because it looks good and is solidly built. Set up was a doddle, just plug it in and connect to the TV with the supplied scart lead, (with 'name' brands you would have to fork out at least an extra £10 for one these).
Picture quality? - I couldn't tell the difference between the Sony and Yakuma.
Features - the Yakuma appears to have more.
Playability - the Yakuma has so far played region 2 DVDs, audio CDs, and movies which I have burnt onto CD on my PC. No problems whatsoever. I am waiting for delivery of my first region 1 DVD so can't comment on this yet, but there are another 200+ reviews on this site which indicate that this won't be a problem.
Negatives? - Well the remote isn't exactly designed by Porsche, but that's not really a problem. For £34.99 you really can't go wrong. Also I simply can't see any need for paying more money for any DVD player, unless you are the type of person who just has to have a 'big' name product. Save your money and buy one of these before Amazon runs out - or the price is increased.
They always say that you get what you pay for, but in this case you don't. You get far more than the £34.99 price tag suggests.
I am now just waiting for Yakumo to bring out a home cinema system, and a 40 inch plasma screen. Watch this space!
What's this?