on 20 January 2005
Initially, I was a little disappointed, when I read that Century Rain wasn't in the same reality and timeperiod as his previous works of space opéra, which I really enjoyed. Once I started settling into Century Rain, however, that disappointment completely disappeared.
The counterfactual Paris is gripping and credible (and beautifully film-noir), the human future is intriguing and similarly gripping. Reynolds seems to have taken a conscious decision to scatter throughout the book various rather cringeworthy-but-still-funny puns but, as the story progresses, the pace increases.
The ending was, as some other reviewers have commented, a little disappointing, given the rest of the book, but not greatly so and didn't detract from my enjoyment of the book. This is one of the few books I have found myself still reading at 2am when I have work only a few hours later; I would (and have done) recommend it very highly.
11 people found this helpful