Top critical review
Beem-Fresh Aroma Perfect 02049: poorly designed, does not work, flimsy construction.
23 February 2019
I bought this because it was from Germany and cost considerably more than the last four coffee machines I have used, which have lasted, on average, for only one year each. Unfortunately it is a very poor product, for the following reasons.
1. The grinder could not handle well-roasted beans and jammed on the third run. It proved impossible to remove the jam because the inner lid over the grind cavity was held in by a tiny self-tap security-type screw that could not be unscrewed. I tried, and the inner lid broke off, no doubt invalidating the guarantee.
2. By a mistake of design, the grinder leaves a 5-cm long plug of ground coffee in the machine after each grind. A fragile plastic cover had to be slipped off , using a pin as a tool to release it, before the plug could be unblocked, and the ground coffee could only be scraped into the brew basket with the machine on and in a particular setting.
3. The so-called thermal flask that comes with the product ( which could not be kept warm electronically) yielded lukewarm coffee, particularly if only 4 or 6 cups were being brewed. It is not explained anywhere in the Instructions that this flask has a secret lever in the lid that must be pressed to allow coffee to be poured out: this is left as a puzzle for new users.
4. The hinged lid over the water holder was a cheaply-made part of the case, which could not be closed except by using a lot of force on the flimsy plastic and could then not be opened unless one had really strong fingernails.
5. If the ground coffee container was swung in with more than the lightest touch, it jammed in and could not be released by pressing the release button. It was necessary to pull it out by brute force.
5. The Instructions were abysmally badly written. It is written in chapters, and if one turns to 'Making Coffee with Coffee Beans' there is a 10-point set of instructions with 8 references to other chapters, so you cannot read it without referring 8 times to other pages. Also the print size is too small and the ink is grey, making it less easy to read.
Perhaps the manufacturer could be persuaded to include a section on how the natural environment could be protected from poorly-designed plastic devices that are impossible for the user to fix, difficult to recycle and last for only a short time in use? Ursprung durch Technik? I think not. I will be going back to a hotplate to keep a glass flask warm, a simple grinder, a filter container on a retort stand and a kettle to drip the water in to get the strength of coffee I want.