Top critical review
Decent product, good hardware, terrible software
6 September 2018
I have used this watch for almost 6 months now and went to climb a peak in the Himalayas with it. I have used it for running, pool swimming and cycling.
- GPS acquires pretty quickly
- Gives accurate distances for running and cycling, have compared against google maps.
- I was surprised to see it measures the distances accurately in an indoor pool, without GPS (presumably)
- Is waterproof, no doubt
- Battery life with GPS is decent, I hiked down for 8 hours and it still had 30% left.
- You can download trails into it and then follow the route. I climbed Etna, and although the trail our guide took was different, it kept showing me the trail and how far I was from it. Although, after the climb, I thought I would save it, but couldn't since I was only following the trail and you are supposed to tell the watch that you are doing an activity (hiking) to be able to save your activity!! Please refer to the negatives below.
- After the first couple of times, it has completely stopped syncing to my Samsung Galaxy S5 although it is connected through bluetooth. So I have to sync it by connecting it to the laptop. Suunto has no solution - they say, you should delete the device from your phone and reconnect using bluetooth, which I have done a dozen times in 6 months. Pretty terrible software.
- As mentioned with the hiking experience above, figuring out how to make the watch work is a challenge. For example, while running, it took me at least 4 runs to figure out how to end the run. You would expect it would be one button that you press, but here you have to press two different buttons just to end your run.
- The watch bezel is bad quality. It is sturdy enough, no issues with that. I have the black version, if it rubs against a door or anything, there is a white scratch. It has scratches all over (imagine climbing a mountain with it!!)